Angelina Jolie has had around a dozen tattoos, each with very specific and thoughtful meanings. She has even removed a few, and gotten new ones in their place. She has also covered up a few with new tattoos! Geez, she's definitely no stranger to the needle. We will be talking about her eight current tattoos, and getting into their meanings. 1. The first one are the words, "Know your rights" between her shoulder blades. It is printed in gothic style letters and seems to be a message to us all, right? Actually, 'Know Your Rights' is a song by one of her favorite bands, The Clash. Rock on, Angie!
3. The third tattoo has quite the story behind it! It started off as an abstract line design, made by her and her ex Billy Bob Thornton. Well, since they are no longer together, she had it covered up in a very clever way, with arabic letters. Different sources say that the tattoo means different things. Some say that it means, "Determination" and others say that it means, "Strength of Will." Any experts out there who can tell us?
4. Tattoo number four is the roman numeral tattoo on her left arm. It started out as just the number thirteen, made as a statement saying that she doesn't believe in superstitions. After a while, she got the additional numbers added onto it. This makes the date the 13th of May, 1940. You can tell that it was added on in the picture, because the thickness of the numbers are different than that of the number 13. Did she mean that? Maybe she wanted the numbers to keep the supersition meaning, while also adding the date. Anywho, May 13 1940 is the date that British Prime Minister Winston Churchill gave a famous speech where he says, "I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat."
5. The fifth tattoo is of a quote by Tennessee Williams that reads, "A prayer for the wild at heart kept in cages." This is from a play that he wrote called Stairs to the Roof.
6. The sixth tattoo is of geographical coordinates, and each one pinpoints the location of her children's births. The first line is respresentative of her son Maddox's birthplace in Cambodia. The second is a location in Ethiopia where her daughter Zahara was born. The third is a place in Namibia where her and Brad Pitt's child Shiloh was born. The fourth is a place in Vietnam where Pax was born, and that was it for a while. Since then, she has added the birthplace of her twins Knox and Vivienne from France, and also added the birthplace of her SO Brad Pitt.
7. The letter "h" on her left wrist is very interesting and mysterious. It is said to be something to remind her of her brother James Haven, or an ex boyfriend by the name of Timothy Hutton.
8. Finally her cross tattoo is another coverup! It was originally a small dragon that she had tattooed in Amsterdam. Now it is a cross with a Latin phrase next to it. The phrase translated says, "What nourishes me, destroys me."